IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM THE U.S DEPARTMENT OF STATE. **APPLY EARLY:
- Mail delays are impacting when we receive passport applications for processing. Our processing times begin the day we receive your application, not the day you mail it.
- As of October 29, routine processing is 8 to 11 weeks and expedite processing (for an additional $60) is 5 to 7 weeks.
- Processing times begin the day the department of State receives your application at a passport agency or center, not the day you mail your application or apply for a passport at a local acceptance facility.
- We are no longer using door-to-door timeframes to describe routine and expedited service.
- Mail times vary across the country. Plan ahead and apply early.
More about Status Updates: It may take up to 6 weeks from the day you submit your application until your status is “In Process.” During these 6 weeks, your application is delivered to a mail facility, your payment is processed, and your application is entered into our system. Even if your passport status update says, “Not Available,” your application and supporting documents are safely on their way to us. Check online for your passport status.
Planning to Travel? Apply Early! Apply at least four to six months before planned travel. Due to limited availability for urgent travel appointments, we cannot guarantee you can receive in-person service at a passport agency or center. We are prioritizing customers with life-or-death emergencies. Visit our Passport Agency and Center page to learn more.